Skip to main content

New product releases from Oakley


There has been a fair bit of news and new product releases from Oakley over the past month.



First and foremost, Oakley has been acquired by Luxottica. I hope that this has no effect on their quality and offerings. Luxottica does own several other high end sunglass brands, including Ray-Ban.

Earlier this month, Oakley rolled out a dedicated line of polarized sunglasses under the Nanowire name. Colin Baden, Oakley President states, "This Oakley original combines innovations like our Hydrophobic(tm) lens technology with a unique frame architecture that takes advantage of flexible titanium alloy. The ultra-lightweight metal allows for fluid, sculptural forms that maintain the comfort of an adaptable fit and the added benefit of being able to take a great deal of abuse while maintaining its shape."

I can personally attest to the durability of the Oakley wire sunglasses. I have two pairs. One pair that I use while riding is from the original wires line and while bent up a little bit, still provide excellent coverage and protection. The second pair are used as my "everyday" sunglasses and are stylish and durable. I have been wearing Oakleys since my BMX days and they have always been great.

Oakley also introduced "Livestrong" editions of their Radar and Flak Jacket sunglasses. $20 from the sale of each model will go to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation.


Though just introduced, the Radar model has already become a fixture on the Pro Tour.

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons to Ride #2 - Ice Cream

Ice cream may be one of the best post-ride recovery foods that you can find.  A typical half cup serving of ice cream 3 grams of protein, vitamin A and 9 percent of your daily value of calcium. If your body doesn't get around 1000 mg of clacium a day, your fat cells begin storing fat. Calcium also helps build and strengthen bones, lowers the risk of colon cancer and helps to reduce PMS symptoms. In addition, calcium increases your metabolism to help you burn fat. Two to three servings of dairy a day can help you lose 11 to 15 pounds over a year.  When Greg LeMond was asked what he thought about while racing, he replied "Ice cream. God, I dream about ice cream." Since I'm using their picture, I'll throw out a little love to Graeter's - Cincinnati's best ice cream. By the way, they ship nationally. Just ask Oprah. 

Lance Breaks His Silence On The Landis Decision

When first asked a couple of weeks ago about the decision in the Floyd Landis case, Lance Armstrong basically implied that he didn't keep up with cycling anymore and that he didn't have time to look at it. Now, in a new interview released yesterday, Armstrong blasts the decision of the arbitration panel and states that he feels that Landis would have been exonerated by a jury. It's about time he spoke up. He may be focused on finding a cure for cancer, but he needs to recognize that for most Americans, he is the person that comes to mind when they think about professional cycling.