Skip to main content

Racing News - Friday September 14th

Vuelta de Espana:
It sounds like the rain in Spain stayed mainly on the plain today. There was heavy rain, and even hail, today. The pack mainly rode together while 3 riders - Andreas Klier, Tom Stamsnijder and Jeremy Roy broke away at the 20km mark and were able to maintain their lead for the remainder of the race.

It ended in that order with Klier, Stamsnijder and Roy on the podium. No change in the general classification today.

Levi Leipheimer won yesterday's time trial. George Hincapie rolled in at 6th place, giving him enough of an advantage to take the leader's jersey.

William Frickshorn is in 2nd and David Canada Garcia is in 3rd.

The U.K. was riding high this year after the Tour de France had their prologue there this year, but yesterday's events show that they still need to do some work on their organization.

The race was neutralized at the 80km mark yesterday when it was discovered that the council for North Yorkshire had failed to file the proper paperwork with the police to ensure that the roads were closed for the race. The race went on for 25km under a police escort.

Adrian Palomares Vilaplana, Tom Stubbe and David Blanco ended up on the podium. Vilaplana has the overall lead with David Blanco and Luke Roberts scant seconds behind.

Other News:
  • There will be an international anti-doping summit for cycling in Paris on October 22-23. The goal is to end the stalemate between the UCI and the organizers of the three grand tours.
  • Tom Boonen will likely drop out of the Vuelta and fly home for medical care. At this point, it is not clear whether he will feel up to riding in the Worlds.
  • Leonardo Piepoli also dropped out of the Vuelta. His wife experienced problems after recently giving birth.

Popular posts from this blog

Trek Rolls Out Their 2008 Line

The Trek web site has been updated and now features all of their new models for 2008. They are, of course, focusing on the new line of Madones. There are 13 bikes in the Madone line including 4 "Pro" models and 3 that are designed especially for women. There are 4 ranges of carbon that are being used on the Madones, ranging from OCLV Red Carbon in the Pro line to something called TCT Carbon at the low end. I'm curious to see what will happen with the Madone line now that they are not backing the Discovery Channel team.   I really like the Portland (above), a nifty looking commuter bike with fenders and disk brakes. If I start riding home more often, one of these may be in my future. A lot of the Madone technology, as well as lessons learned from the Pro Tour, Ironman competitions and wind tunnel testing goes into the updated Equinox Tri/TT series (below).

Product Review - Specialized Rim Strips

Several weeks ago, while out on a group ride, I had 3 flats within the space of less than 2 hours and 25 miles. I only had one tube on me, but was fortunate enough to be riding with some very generous people that not only shared tubes with me, but also helped me put them in. One of these individuals took a look at my wheels and theorized that my flats were likely being caused by tube to rim contact, as opposed to road debris or pinch flats.  When I got home, I took off the wheels, removed the tires and tubes and took a good hard look at the rim strips. Sure enough, the Velox strips were a bit narrow, and in places, just barely covered the spoke holes.  I knew that I had to find a solution. I was tired of buying new tubes every couple of weeks. After some research on the internet, I came across these Specialized brand rim strips . I made some phone calls to local bike shops to see if anyone carried them, with no luck. I ended up ordering them directly from Specialized.  When they arri...