Skip to main content

New product releases from Oakley


There has been a fair bit of news and new product releases from Oakley over the past month.



First and foremost, Oakley has been acquired by Luxottica. I hope that this has no effect on their quality and offerings. Luxottica does own several other high end sunglass brands, including Ray-Ban.

Earlier this month, Oakley rolled out a dedicated line of polarized sunglasses under the Nanowire name. Colin Baden, Oakley President states, "This Oakley original combines innovations like our Hydrophobic(tm) lens technology with a unique frame architecture that takes advantage of flexible titanium alloy. The ultra-lightweight metal allows for fluid, sculptural forms that maintain the comfort of an adaptable fit and the added benefit of being able to take a great deal of abuse while maintaining its shape."

I can personally attest to the durability of the Oakley wire sunglasses. I have two pairs. One pair that I use while riding is from the original wires line and while bent up a little bit, still provide excellent coverage and protection. The second pair are used as my "everyday" sunglasses and are stylish and durable. I have been wearing Oakleys since my BMX days and they have always been great.

Oakley also introduced "Livestrong" editions of their Radar and Flak Jacket sunglasses. $20 from the sale of each model will go to Lance Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation.


Though just introduced, the Radar model has already become a fixture on the Pro Tour.

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review - Specialized Rim Strips

Several weeks ago, while out on a group ride, I had 3 flats within the space of less than 2 hours and 25 miles. I only had one tube on me, but was fortunate enough to be riding with some very generous people that not only shared tubes with me, but also helped me put them in. One of these individuals took a look at my wheels and theorized that my flats were likely being caused by tube to rim contact, as opposed to road debris or pinch flats.  When I got home, I took off the wheels, removed the tires and tubes and took a good hard look at the rim strips. Sure enough, the Velox strips were a bit narrow, and in places, just barely covered the spoke holes.  I knew that I had to find a solution. I was tired of buying new tubes every couple of weeks. After some research on the internet, I came across these Specialized brand rim strips . I made some phone calls to local bike shops to see if anyone carried them, with no luck. I ended up ordering them directly from Specialized.  When they arri...

Lance Breaks His Silence On The Landis Decision

When first asked a couple of weeks ago about the decision in the Floyd Landis case, Lance Armstrong basically implied that he didn't keep up with cycling anymore and that he didn't have time to look at it. Now, in a new interview released yesterday, Armstrong blasts the decision of the arbitration panel and states that he feels that Landis would have been exonerated by a jury. It's about time he spoke up. He may be focused on finding a cure for cancer, but he needs to recognize that for most Americans, he is the person that comes to mind when they think about professional cycling.