Skip to main content

TdF - The System Is Working

There has been yet another dismissal at the Tour today.

Danish rider Michael Rasmussen of the Rabobank team was kicked off his team for lying about his whereabouts in June when his country's cycling federation was trying to find him for an out-of-competition test. He had previously said that he was in Mexico from June 4 to 26, but former professional racer Davide Cassini stated that he had seen Rasmussen training in the Dolomites on June 13th & 14th. Rabobank team management confronted Rasmussen with the information and he confessed. Just be be clear, he has never been caught doping. The dismissal was for lying about where he was and avoiding testing.

Today's stage of the Tour starts with no one wearing the yellow jersey.

As I stated in the title of this entry, the system to catch dopers seems to be working, but the fact remains that high-profile racers that know that they are going to be under intense scrutiny continue to dope and to try and evade controls. It makes one wonder about the mental state of these people. On one hand, it is a truly selfish and an incredibly short term view of the situation. On another hand, anyone who is a professional racer should have been able to take a look around them, see the focus that was being put on it being a clean race this year and realize that if they win a stage, they are definitely going to be tested. They are taking a risk of bringing down the entire cycling profession for their own immediate glory. Some of these cyclists may receive 2 year suspensions and not have a Pro Tour to come back to.

I think Tom Boonen is right on the mark when he calls for lifetime suspensions for those caught. I'd add that they should take their salary and any winnings for the current season. Finally, while the teams definitely need to be the first and foremost stand against doping, testing needs to take place across the board. Pro Tour licenses should be issued by one organization at an international level; submitting yourself for regular and random testing should be a job requirement for everyone.

I'm curious whether the expensive part of testing is the administrative part (tracking the riders, finding them, taking samples and transporting them to labs) or the actual test itself. If the actual tests are so expensive, maybe they could increase the number of samples taken and perform the actual tests on a random basis. Would this give riders enough fear that they could be found to be positive or would they continue to take the chance that they may not?

  • In other news today, the Predictor-Lotto team has stated that they are going to sue Alexandre Vinokourov and the Astana team for 10 million euros to recover lost publicity they would have received from Cadel Evans winning Saturday's time trial. Hmm. Okay, I understand where they are coming from here, but if Vino had not already laid down the winning time, would Cadel have pushed himself as hard as he did to take second?

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review - Specialized Rim Strips

Several weeks ago, while out on a group ride, I had 3 flats within the space of less than 2 hours and 25 miles. I only had one tube on me, but was fortunate enough to be riding with some very generous people that not only shared tubes with me, but also helped me put them in. One of these individuals took a look at my wheels and theorized that my flats were likely being caused by tube to rim contact, as opposed to road debris or pinch flats.  When I got home, I took off the wheels, removed the tires and tubes and took a good hard look at the rim strips. Sure enough, the Velox strips were a bit narrow, and in places, just barely covered the spoke holes.  I knew that I had to find a solution. I was tired of buying new tubes every couple of weeks. After some research on the internet, I came across these Specialized brand rim strips . I made some phone calls to local bike shops to see if anyone carried them, with no luck. I ended up ordering them directly from Specialized.  When they arri...

Reasons to Ride #2 - Ice Cream

Ice cream may be one of the best post-ride recovery foods that you can find.  A typical half cup serving of ice cream 3 grams of protein, vitamin A and 9 percent of your daily value of calcium. If your body doesn't get around 1000 mg of clacium a day, your fat cells begin storing fat. Calcium also helps build and strengthen bones, lowers the risk of colon cancer and helps to reduce PMS symptoms. In addition, calcium increases your metabolism to help you burn fat. Two to three servings of dairy a day can help you lose 11 to 15 pounds over a year.  When Greg LeMond was asked what he thought about while racing, he replied "Ice cream. God, I dream about ice cream." Since I'm using their picture, I'll throw out a little love to Graeter's - Cincinnati's best ice cream. By the way, they ship nationally. Just ask Oprah.