Skip to main content

Vuelta Stage 11 plus other news

Vuelta de Espana - Stage 11:
The day started with a two man breakaway at the 8km mark that saw it's biggest gap at the 40km point. The peloton was taking it easy, working only hard enough to let the break not get any bigger.  At 120km, the peloton started to reel in the break and they had made up the 3 minute advantage by km 150. 

 The Milram and Lampre-Fondital teams, along with Rabobank, did the majority of the work to make up the break. By the final 10 km, the speeds racked up considerably, with T-Mobile & Milram leading a long, single file peloton. 

Milram took over the lead in the final 2 kilometers. Zabel did the work to set up Pettachi to take the final sprint at the last corner.

Pettachi racks up his 18th career win today at the Vuelta.  coming by teammate Erik Zabel in the final meters of today's stage. Paolo Bettini took second, Zabel third. 

The G.C. stays much the same with Menchov, Efimkin, Evans, Sastre and Miquez in the Top 5 spots. 

Other News:
  • Ivan Dominquez of Toyota-United takes the first stage of the Tour of Missouri 
  • Johan Bruyneel has responded to criticism from the directors of the French teams Ag2r Prevoyance and Francais de Jeux regarding Alberto Contador's victory at the Tour de France. Ugh.
  • New bikes from Kuota, Canyon and Max Lelli at Eurobike
  • Will Frickshorn of Slipstream-Chipotle took the win at Saturday's Univest Grand Prix.

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review - Specialized Rim Strips

Several weeks ago, while out on a group ride, I had 3 flats within the space of less than 2 hours and 25 miles. I only had one tube on me, but was fortunate enough to be riding with some very generous people that not only shared tubes with me, but also helped me put them in. One of these individuals took a look at my wheels and theorized that my flats were likely being caused by tube to rim contact, as opposed to road debris or pinch flats.  When I got home, I took off the wheels, removed the tires and tubes and took a good hard look at the rim strips. Sure enough, the Velox strips were a bit narrow, and in places, just barely covered the spoke holes.  I knew that I had to find a solution. I was tired of buying new tubes every couple of weeks. After some research on the internet, I came across these Specialized brand rim strips . I made some phone calls to local bike shops to see if anyone carried them, with no luck. I ended up ordering them directly from Specialized.  When they arri...

Lance Breaks His Silence On The Landis Decision

When first asked a couple of weeks ago about the decision in the Floyd Landis case, Lance Armstrong basically implied that he didn't keep up with cycling anymore and that he didn't have time to look at it. Now, in a new interview released yesterday, Armstrong blasts the decision of the arbitration panel and states that he feels that Landis would have been exonerated by a jury. It's about time he spoke up. He may be focused on finding a cure for cancer, but he needs to recognize that for most Americans, he is the person that comes to mind when they think about professional cycling.