Skip to main content

Park Your Car, Ride Your Bike

Look. Over there in your garage. Behind that pile of old cardboard boxes from your last move. Or maybe under a dusty old drop cloth. It’s your bicycle.

Clear away those old boxes and stick them in your recycle bin. Pull that bike out, dust it off and throw a leg over it. Do you remember how fun it was to ride when you were a kid, before you ever dreamed of owning or driving a car? It’s still fun, and it’s an easy, healthy and environmentally responsible way of getting around town. 

I often use my bike to take the kids to the park in a trailer, run to the library or to go to the store to pick up something. A backpack is all that is needed for most errands, but with the addition of a basket or a rack, a bike can be very useful.

Maybe your old bike has some flat tires, or the chain has succumbed to rust. There are now bicycle co-ops in town that, for a small yearly fee, supply very inexpensive parts and even help you build the skills to maintain your existing bike or even build one. 

If you don’t have a bike right now, you don’t necessarily need to go to a bike shop and buy a new one. While a new bicycle will be nicer, there are many resources for finding inexpensive used bicycles. Garage sales, thrift stores, Craiglist.org, Freecycle and the aforementioned bicycle co-ops are all excellent places to look for a bike.  While I have newer bikes, my “errand” bike was a $10 garage sale find. I invested a little time and a little money and now have a very lightweight and fun bike that I can bang around on. 

When you get your bike in working order and start to ride, you’ll be looking for places you can go. Visiting a neighbor? Ride the bike. Going for a haircut? Ride the bike! 

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review - Specialized Rim Strips

Several weeks ago, while out on a group ride, I had 3 flats within the space of less than 2 hours and 25 miles. I only had one tube on me, but was fortunate enough to be riding with some very generous people that not only shared tubes with me, but also helped me put them in. One of these individuals took a look at my wheels and theorized that my flats were likely being caused by tube to rim contact, as opposed to road debris or pinch flats.  When I got home, I took off the wheels, removed the tires and tubes and took a good hard look at the rim strips. Sure enough, the Velox strips were a bit narrow, and in places, just barely covered the spoke holes.  I knew that I had to find a solution. I was tired of buying new tubes every couple of weeks. After some research on the internet, I came across these Specialized brand rim strips . I made some phone calls to local bike shops to see if anyone carried them, with no luck. I ended up ordering them directly from Specialized.  When they arri...

Lance Breaks His Silence On The Landis Decision

When first asked a couple of weeks ago about the decision in the Floyd Landis case, Lance Armstrong basically implied that he didn't keep up with cycling anymore and that he didn't have time to look at it. Now, in a new interview released yesterday, Armstrong blasts the decision of the arbitration panel and states that he feels that Landis would have been exonerated by a jury. It's about time he spoke up. He may be focused on finding a cure for cancer, but he needs to recognize that for most Americans, he is the person that comes to mind when they think about professional cycling.