Skip to main content

Movie Review: Wired To Win - Surviving the tour de France

One of our stops on vacation to give the kids a break from the car was COSI Columbus.

Their IMAX theater was featuring the movie "Wired To Win - Surviving the Tour de France". While the kids were off playing, I took the time to see this movie, which presented footage from the Tour interspersed with computer graphics and medical imagery to demonstrate how the brain deals with what some have called the ultimate test of the human brain.

The movies follows the efforts of Francais de Jeux riders Baden Cooke and Jimmy Caspar as they pursue their destinies in the 2003 Tour. We watch as they struggle to avoid danger, fight crushing pain and fatique, control their emotions, seize opportunities and stay motivated. Apparently, the movie producers originally planned to follow Tyler Hamilton, but his doping scandal at the Vuelta a Espana forced them to change to focus to Caspar.

Caspar was caught up in a huge crash in the first stage of that year's Tour and the cameras followed him as he struggled with his injuries through later stages. They used his injury, and the associated pain, to good effect, demonstrating how the body processes pain and the electrochemical interactions that take place in the brain. Caspar dropped out of the race in the high mountains and the focus switched to Cooke, who was challenging for the green sprinters jersey.

Of course, for me, the big highlight of the movie was watching the Tour on a 70 foot screen. The larger than life footage of the Tour winding through the French countryside and mountains was truly spectacular. The production staff captured the footage with a special remotely controlled IMAX camera mounted to a BMW motorcycle. There were also some amazing helicopter shots of the Alps.

If this movie comes to a museum near you, take the opportunity to see it. You'll feel like you're racing with the pros, or at least watching the race in person.

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review - Specialized Rim Strips

Several weeks ago, while out on a group ride, I had 3 flats within the space of less than 2 hours and 25 miles. I only had one tube on me, but was fortunate enough to be riding with some very generous people that not only shared tubes with me, but also helped me put them in. One of these individuals took a look at my wheels and theorized that my flats were likely being caused by tube to rim contact, as opposed to road debris or pinch flats.  When I got home, I took off the wheels, removed the tires and tubes and took a good hard look at the rim strips. Sure enough, the Velox strips were a bit narrow, and in places, just barely covered the spoke holes.  I knew that I had to find a solution. I was tired of buying new tubes every couple of weeks. After some research on the internet, I came across these Specialized brand rim strips . I made some phone calls to local bike shops to see if anyone carried them, with no luck. I ended up ordering them directly from Specialized.  When they arri...

Lance Breaks His Silence On The Landis Decision

When first asked a couple of weeks ago about the decision in the Floyd Landis case, Lance Armstrong basically implied that he didn't keep up with cycling anymore and that he didn't have time to look at it. Now, in a new interview released yesterday, Armstrong blasts the decision of the arbitration panel and states that he feels that Landis would have been exonerated by a jury. It's about time he spoke up. He may be focused on finding a cure for cancer, but he needs to recognize that for most Americans, he is the person that comes to mind when they think about professional cycling.