Skip to main content

Well, Since You Asked... Lemond Has Recommendations

Cyclingnews.com covers an interview that Greg Lemond granted to the Colorado Daily Camera, in which he made some drastic recommendations to clean up the sport of cycling.

Some of this has been proposed before: primarily, reworking the UCI, which has known for a long while that doping has been taking place, but only recently started doing something about it. 

Other recommendations include sequestering riders before races to limit unauthorized contact, increasing the number of randomly tested riders and lowering the hematocrit limit. 

I don't see the point of limiting contact. Riders can dope days before a race and still receive benefit. All that sequestering will do is make them have to get up earlier in the morning.

I'm all for more random testing. If riders start to think that their chances of getting randomly nailed are increasing, they'll be less inclined to take the risk. 

He goes on to propose a system in which riders that test positive could plea-bargain by ratting out others in the sport. Hello, Senator McCarthy!

Lemond also managed to get in another dig at Lance Armstrong, saying that he didn't leave because he couldn't get a sponsor, but because investigators are getting more serious. "Guys that are getting away with it don't want to get caught."






Popular posts from this blog

Product Review - Specialized Rim Strips

Several weeks ago, while out on a group ride, I had 3 flats within the space of less than 2 hours and 25 miles. I only had one tube on me, but was fortunate enough to be riding with some very generous people that not only shared tubes with me, but also helped me put them in. One of these individuals took a look at my wheels and theorized that my flats were likely being caused by tube to rim contact, as opposed to road debris or pinch flats.  When I got home, I took off the wheels, removed the tires and tubes and took a good hard look at the rim strips. Sure enough, the Velox strips were a bit narrow, and in places, just barely covered the spoke holes.  I knew that I had to find a solution. I was tired of buying new tubes every couple of weeks. After some research on the internet, I came across these Specialized brand rim strips . I made some phone calls to local bike shops to see if anyone carried them, with no luck. I ended up ordering them directly from Specialized.  When they arri...

Lance Breaks His Silence On The Landis Decision

When first asked a couple of weeks ago about the decision in the Floyd Landis case, Lance Armstrong basically implied that he didn't keep up with cycling anymore and that he didn't have time to look at it. Now, in a new interview released yesterday, Armstrong blasts the decision of the arbitration panel and states that he feels that Landis would have been exonerated by a jury. It's about time he spoke up. He may be focused on finding a cure for cancer, but he needs to recognize that for most Americans, he is the person that comes to mind when they think about professional cycling.