Skip to main content

One World - Two Wheels: Trek Warms Up To Cycling Advocacy

Trek just held Trek World, their major product introduction event, in Madison, Wisconsin.

John Burke, the President of Trek, unveiled new bicycle models and accessories as well as a new advocacy program called One World Two Wheels.

We all know that gas is expensive (and getting more so every day) and, say what you want about global warming, it's an irrefutable fact that cars pollute and that there are more and more cars on the road every day.

This program aims to address some of the world's problems through cycling. Trek is encouraging people to use bikes for short trips, work for more bicycle friendly communities and to ride to work.

Ostensibly, Trek is promoting this program as a benefit of not having to finance the Discovery Channel team for 2008. Since that announcement only came a couple of weeks ago, and rolling out a campaign such as this takes more time than that, I'd say that this has been in the works for some time.

That said, Trek deserves some points for not trying to blatantly sell their bikes as the solution for the world's problems. While the new Trek Lime is the obvious fit for what they're trying to promote, I'd say that they are going to have a hard time selling a $500 bike to the average consumer that is used to the $150 price point that they see at Wal-Mart.

Anything that gets more people on bikes!

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review - Specialized Rim Strips

Several weeks ago, while out on a group ride, I had 3 flats within the space of less than 2 hours and 25 miles. I only had one tube on me, but was fortunate enough to be riding with some very generous people that not only shared tubes with me, but also helped me put them in. One of these individuals took a look at my wheels and theorized that my flats were likely being caused by tube to rim contact, as opposed to road debris or pinch flats.  When I got home, I took off the wheels, removed the tires and tubes and took a good hard look at the rim strips. Sure enough, the Velox strips were a bit narrow, and in places, just barely covered the spoke holes.  I knew that I had to find a solution. I was tired of buying new tubes every couple of weeks. After some research on the internet, I came across these Specialized brand rim strips . I made some phone calls to local bike shops to see if anyone carried them, with no luck. I ended up ordering them directly from Specialized.  When they arri...

Lance Breaks His Silence On The Landis Decision

When first asked a couple of weeks ago about the decision in the Floyd Landis case, Lance Armstrong basically implied that he didn't keep up with cycling anymore and that he didn't have time to look at it. Now, in a new interview released yesterday, Armstrong blasts the decision of the arbitration panel and states that he feels that Landis would have been exonerated by a jury. It's about time he spoke up. He may be focused on finding a cure for cancer, but he needs to recognize that for most Americans, he is the person that comes to mind when they think about professional cycling.